Rob,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, I will try them and keep the list updated.
And yes, I meant mvapich2... I too heard about unconfirmed mvapich sightings in
the wild so thanks for checking :)

Oh, also, I installed a no-romio version of mvapich2 and recompiled HDF5 with
it, but still seeing the same problem :(

-Mehmet