On 2024-03-04 18:01, Dmitry Goncharov wrote:
> This desire to blow away that directory if build is interrupted or
> fails is against the nature of make.
> Make was created specifically to avoid blowing away a half completed build.

Obviously, not entirely. If a build recipe fails, but has produced the
target file(s) with up to date timestamps, it's important to blow them
away.

Someone's build system could have a requirement that a certain output
directory must contain all required files correctly updated, or else none.

I.e. it is conceivable that a directory of files can be a target.

  • Performan... Stephen Touset via Users list for the GNU implementation of make
    • Re: ... Dmitry Goncharov
      • ... Paul Smith
        • ... Stephen Touset via Users list for the GNU implementation of make
          • ... Stephen Touset via Users list for the GNU implementation of make
        • ... Stephen Touset via Users list for the GNU implementation of make
      • ... Stephen Touset via Users list for the GNU implementation of make
      • ... Kaz Kylheku