Correction:  Sorry, this is a UK story, not Australia.

AnimalVoicesNews

Source: Press Association  (24dash.com - Hereford, Herefordshire, UK)
Link:  http://www.24dash.com/communities/16140.htm

VERDICT:  Hannon was given a four-month suspended sentence, a lifetime ban
from owning animals and ordered to pay £300 costs at Llandudno Magistrates
Court.

--------
Woman put cat in washing machine 'after row with boyfriend'

Publisher:  Ian Morgan
Published: 05/02/2007 - 18:05:55 PM

Dianne Hannon. Photo: PA

A woman who killed her boyfriend's cat by putting it in a washing machine
walked free from court today.

Diane Hannon, 42, of Old Colwyn, North Wales, put the deaf cat, called Paws,
on a full cycle after arguing with her partner.

The six-year-old cat suffered a massive heart attack, severe burns and loss
of fur during the ordeal, which the RSPCA described as "the worst act of
deliberate cruelty".

Hannon was given a four-month suspended sentence, a lifetime ban from owning
animals and ordered to pay £300 costs at Llandudno Magistrates Court.

She admitted causing unnecessary suffering to an animal and a further charge
of cruelly ill-treating an animal, at an earlier hearing.

Hannon killed Paws when she was cat-sitting at her boyfriend Duncan Carthy's
flat while he visited his son on July 8 last year.

The pair had argued about Mr Carthy's ex-wife and his children from his
first marriage.

Mr Carthy found his dead pet in the washing machine when he returned home.
Hannon laughed and hung up when he phoned her.

He later found a note she had written on the back of the envelope, saying "I
hate you".

Hannon's defence lawyers have claimed she suffers from psychiatric problems
and was involved in an abusive relationship with Mr Carthy.

RSPCA Inspector Kevin Paton said: "In all my years as an RSPCA inspector,
this is the worst act of deliberate cruelty I have ever seen.

"I am pleased that the defendant has been given a lifetime ban from owning
animals and this sends a strong signal to the public that animal cruelty
will not be tolerated. "

Copyright Press Association 2007

Send News & Press Releases to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reference:  Royal Society for the Protection of Cruelty to Animals
<http://www.rspca.org.uk/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RSPCA/RSPCARedirect&pg=R
SPCAHome>
Conttacs:
<http://www.rspca.org.uk/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RSPCA/Utility/Contact>

RSPCA enquiries service
*    Telephone: 0870 33 35 999 (or +44 870 33 35 999 for calls from outside
the UK). The enquiries service is open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm, when
your call may be monitored or recorded for training purposes.
*    Fax: 0870 75 30 284 (or +44 870 75 30 284 from outside the UK) to the
enquiries service at RSPCA headquarters.
*    Post: Write to Enquiries service, RSPCA, Wilberforce Way, Southwater,
Horsham, West Sussex RH13 9RS. We ask that specific requests for leaflets
are made in writing, accompanied by two first class stamps to cover postage.