AnimalVoicesNews

Note:  Reminder of other contacts below.

Source/Letters: Rocky Mountain News <letters @ RockyMountainNews.com>
(close spaces)
Link:
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_5378124,0
0.html

Zoo visitors mourn loss of
jaguar, zookeeper

By Julie Poppen, Rocky Mountain News
February 25, 2007

Parents struggled Sunday to find ways to tell their children about the fatal
mauling of a zookeeper at the Denver Zoo a day earlier.

"I just told him the cats can¹t come out and play today," said Denver dad
Justin Silverstein, 31, Sunday talking about how he explained the cat¹s
absence to his 2-year-old son.

Jorge, the 6-year-old male jaguar that attacked the zookeeper, was his son
Cooper¹s favorite zoo animal. The family comes to the zoo once or twice a
week. Cooper is often found clutching a stuffed jaguar named Baby Jag.

The family especially loved watching Jorge pace in his cage and make barking
sounds, which Cooper liked to imitate.

"We are very sad both for the person and the cat," Silverstein said.

Rescuers shot and killed Jorge, who arrived at the zoo from the Santa Cruz
Zoo in Bolivia in 2005.

While the investigation is ongoing, the zoo has opted to close the zoo¹s two
feline buildings, which feature seven exhibits.
The woman¹s name has not been released.

It¹s the first fatal animal attack at the zoo.

A small memorial accumulated at the front entrance to the zoo featuring
candles and floral bouquets. Grief counselors were on hand to assist
employees.

"This is the worst day in Denver Zoo history ‹ at least to me," zoo
spokeswoman Tiffany Barnhart said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>

Contacts:
Mayor John W. Hickenlooper