AnimalVoicesAlert

CYBERLETTER:
Tell the Bush Administration to protect polar bears and their critical
habitat

Take action by: The end of Monday, April 9, the Bush Administration will
stop taking public input on a proposal to protect polar bears under the
Endangered Species Act.

Prepared letter on line (may be edited; sample below) :
<http://www.nrdconline.org/campaign/polarbearsos_0207>

Info Source: From: "NRDC - Frances Beinecke"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Polar bears are completely dependent on Arctic sea ice to survive, but 80
percent of that ice could be gone in 20 years and all of it by 2040. Polar
bears are already suffering the effects: birth rates are falling, fewer cubs
are surviving, and more bears are drowning. The Bush Administration's
proposal to list the polar bear as "threatened" under the Endangered Species
Act is a crucial first step toward ensuring a future for these magnificent
Arctic creatures. Yet the administration's proposal does not designate
"critical habitat" for protection, even though melting habitat from global
warming is the main threat to the polar bear's survival.
Submit your Official Citizen Comment urging the Fish and Wildlife Service to
finalize the listing of the polar bear and designate its critical habitat.

~~~~~~~~Letter Preview~~~~~~~Unedited

Dr. Rosa Meehan, Supervisor, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

I strongly support your proposal to list the polar bear as a threatened
species under the Endangered Species Act. The scientific evidence that polar
bears are threatened with extinction from global warming is overwhelming.
Polar bears are completely dependent on Arctic sea ice to survive, but 80
percent of that ice could be gone in 20 years and all of it by 2040. Polar
bears are already suffering the effects: birth rates are falling, fewer cubs
are surviving, and more bears are drowning.

I am therefore very concerned that your proposal fails to identify global
warming pollution as the cause of rising Arctic temperatures and vanishing
sea ice. Our government's refusal to curb global warming pollution is a
primary cause of the polar bear's melting habitat and terrible plight. It
must be addressed. And while your proposal discusses the kind of habitat
that is essential for the polar bear's survival, it does not designate any
of it as "critical habitat" that could help the bear recover.

Please act swiftly to finalize the listing of the polar bear and designate
its critical habitat. We must act immediately if we are to save this
magnificent Arctic creature from extinction.

~~~~~~~~ Letter end ~~~~~~~~