I'm a newbie to hibernate 3 (haven't worked with older versions) and am trying to understand the difference between the get() and the load() methods of the Hibernate Session Object.

After reading the Hibernate documentation and the discussion at http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=87363&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0  I think I know what those methods do. My code is giving the expected results also.

But I have following questions:

Is there any reason to favor one method over the other, besides the application specific considerations?

Is one of those two methods there just for backward compatibility or any other such reasons?

Thanks in advance.

Vikas