Thanks for the null-check tip! I appreciate that.

As a matter of fact, NPE issue still bothers us a lot. This recent PR from the
community is another validation:
https://github.com/hibernate/hibernate-orm/pull/3499How to systematically
combat NPE is a good topic and still highly relevant. Maybe we can talk about
it later.

I didn't anticipate we should abandon the 'lazy initialization' pattern totally
(even when we limited its scope to ArrayList constructed by default
constructor). My point is to raise the awareness that  since JDK7, ArrayList
has a lazy-initialization feature built-in already. We still pay the cost to
create an empty ArrayList (without allocating 10 elements in advance), but the
overhead might be worthwhile for it leads to a more elegant and maintainable
codebase.