Yes, 3 is a good way if transactionsa are very "short" (transaction per
operation aka autocommit),
it solves deadlock problem and most of conflicts ( optimistic loclking can
solve the rest ).
But I do not think all of applications can use this way, most of my
applications can't.
Think about Gavin's example ( some of my applications use messaging too) ,
most of my applications are integrated with "legacy" systems, some of them
use "import" it takes ~2 min.
to import some files, but transactions can not wait for this import (
sometimes of transactions are orders in stock exhange ).
If you are talking about applications like "Web blog", Prevayler must be a
good choise.