[Resent with a better formatting]

I've worked a lot recently on the Hibernate Lucene integration. Here are
the concepts, the new features and the todo list.
Please comment and give feedbacks.

My work is commited in branches/Lucene_Integration because we'll
probably need to be based on Hibernate 3.3

*Concepts*
Each time you change an object state, the lucene index is updated and
kept in sync. This is done through the Hibernate event system.
Whether an entity is indexed or not and whether a property is indexed or
not is defined through annotations.
You can also search through your domain model using Lucene and retrieve
managed objects. The whole idea here is to do a nice integration between
the search engine and the ORM without loosing the search engine power,
hence most of the API remains. To sum up, query Lucene, get managed
object back.

*Mapping*
A given entity is mapped to an index. A lucene index is stored in a
Directory, a Directory is a Lucnee abstract concept for index storage
system. It can be a memory directory (RAMDirectory), a file system
directory (FSDirectory) or any other kind of backend. Hibernate Lucene
introduce the notion of DirectoryProvider that you can configure and
define on a per entity basis (and wich is defaulted defaulted). The
concept is very similar to ConnectionProvider.

Lucene only works with Strings, so you can define a @FieldBridge which
transform a java property into a Lucene Field (and potentially
vice-versa). A more simple (useful?) version handle the transformation
of a java property into a String.
Some built-in FieldBrigde exists. @FieldBridge is very much like an
Hibernate Type. Esp I introduced the notion of precision in dates (year,
month, .. second, millisecond). This FieldBridge and StringBridge gives
a lot of flexibility in the way to design the property indexing.

*Querying*
I've introduced the notion of LuceneSession which implements Session and
actually delegates to a regular Hibernate Session. This lucene session
has a /createLuceneQuery()/ method and a /index()/ method.

/session.createLuceneQuery(lucene.Query, Class[])/ takes a Lucene query
as a parameter and the list of targeted entities. Using a Lucene query
as a parameter gives the full Lucene flexibility (no abstraction on top
of it). An /org.hibernate.Query/ object is returned.
You can (must) use pagination. A Lucene query also return the number of
matching results (regardless of the pagination): query.resultSize() sort
of count(*).
   /list()/ returns the list of matching objects. It heavily depends on
batch-size to be efficient (ie the proxy are created for all the results
and then we initialize them.
There might be alternative strategies here (select ... where id in ( , ,
, ) ), but the real benefit would come if combined with the dynamic
fetching profile we talked about a while ago.
   /iterate()/ has the same semantic as the regular method in hibernate,
meaning initialize the objects one by one.
   /scroll()/ allows an efficient navigation into the resultset,
(objects are loaded one by one though).
Having the dynamic fetch profile would definitely be a killer pair
(searching the lucene index, and fetching the appropriate object graph)

/session.//index(Object)/ is currently not implemented it requires some
modifications of SessionImpl or of LuceneSession. This feature is useful
to initialize / refresh the index in a batch way (ie loading the data
and applying the indexing process on this set of data).
Basically the object is added to the index queue. At flush() time, the
queue is processed.

design considerations:
The delegation vs subclassing strategy for LuceneSession (ie
LuceneSession delegating to a regular Session allowing simple wrapping
or the LuceneSessionImpl being a subclass of SessionImpl is an ongoing
discussion.
Using a subclassing model would allow the LuceneSession to keep
operation queues (for batch indexing either through object changes or
through session.index() ), but it does not allow a potential Hibernate -
XXX integration on the same subclassing model. Batching is essential in
Lucene for performance reasons.
Using the delegation model requires some SessionImpl modifications to be
able to keep track of a generic context. This context will keep the
operation queues.

*ToDo*
Argue on the LuceneSession design are pick up one (Steve/Emmanuel/Feel
free to join the danse)

Find a way to keep the DocumentBuilder (sort of EntityPersister) at the
SessionFactory level rather than the EventListener level (Steve/Emmanuel)

Implement the use of FieldBridge for all properties. It is currently
used for the id property only (trivial).

Batch changes: to do that I need to be able to keep a session related
queue of all insert/update changes. I can't in the current design
because SessionImpl does not have such concept and because the
LuceneSession is build on the delegation model. We need to discuss the
strategy here (delegation vs subclassing)

Massive batch changes: in some system, we don't really bother with "real
time" index synchronization, for those a common batch changes queue (ie
across several sessions) would make sense with a queue flushing
happening every hour  for example.

Clustered Directory: think about that. A JDBC Directory might not be the
perfect solution actually.

fetch profile

Align the field indexing annotations to Lucene 2.0

Think aboud Analyser to give the same flexibility @Boost provide

Make Lucene query parameterizable query.setParameter();

implements additional strategies to load object on query.list()