Belgian Convert Day *
              By  Eva Vergaelen
  Freelance Writer

  Forward By : http://www.shariqkhan.page.tl

                                         Most women convert merely because of
the beauty of Islam.
The first Belgian day for converts took place on Sunday March 4, 2007. More
than 700 people joined the workshops and lectures. In the Imam Bukhari mosque
in Antwerp, 500 women and 200 men gathered in two gender-separated places.

Al-Minara (an organization that informs and supports new female converts)
organized the Convert Day for women, and De-Koepel (an organization that
informs and supports new male converts)organized the activities for men. This
is an interview with Aisha Cindy Raes and Karolien Mus, president and vice
president of Al-Minara respectively.

IslamOnline (IOL): What is Al-Minara?

Raes and Mus:Al-Minara means lighthouse or orientation point in Arabic. This is
exactly what our organization wants to be: A place were new converts can direct
themselves to. We appoint in every region in Belgium a sister who is
responsible for:

   Assisting women who convert to Islam and answering their questions. It is
important for our new Muslim sisters to know someone in their neighborhood who
faced the same experiences or problems when converting. How to communicate with
your family about your religious choice, for example, is one such thing we can
help with.
   Supporting women who are interested in Islam in finding the right
information.
   Supporting organizations that deal with Muslims (e.g. hospitals).
   Working towards a more positive and realistic perception on Muslims in
Belgian media and public opinion.
  This can be done in different ways, such as making use of personal contacts,
organizing group activities, or setting up courses.

IOL: Why did you decide to organize a national day for converts?

Raes and Mus: Al-Minara has been very active in the last year. We organized
many activities and noticed that more women got interested in our organization.
We welcomed many new members, 300 of which are actively engaged on our forum.
We felt that it was time to organize something bigger, to create an opportunity
where converts could meet and where we could explain more about Islam to their
families and friends. A day during which Muslims born as Muslims and converts
could exchange experiences.

IOL: Why a day for converts, and not for Muslims in general?

Raes and Mus: We would like to stress the fact that this day was not only for
converts. On the contrary, our participants were also "born" Muslims, family
members and friends of converts, and people who were just interested in knowing
more about Islam. We call it a Convert Day because both our organizations
(Al-Minara and De-Koepel) target converts. We want to encourage them by showing
that they are not isolated, that we are many, and that we have a voice and a
message.

The activities during the day, however, were diverse in order to attract a wide
variety of people, not only converts. Women could participate in different
workshops, like halal cooking and styles of hijab wearing. About 20 women
announced their Shahadah. Most of them already were Muslims, but wanted to make
it official. A 73-year-old woman converted 35 years ago and told us about her
experiences. So did a mother of a convert. Apart from information gathering,
the day turned out to be quite emotional for many of us.

IOL: Are you planning another Convert Day?

Raes and Mus:  In sha' Allah. It turned out to be a success, and we hope to
make it an annual event. Still many converts don't know our organization and
through a Convert Day we try to reach them.

IOL: Are there statistics on the amount and type of converts in Belgium?

Raes and Mus: Most converts say their Shahadah privately among sisters and
brothers. Only when they need an official proof of their religion - for
example, when they want to go on Hajj -, they would go to the Islamic Centre in
Brussels . As a result, we don't have a clear idea of how many converts there
are. There is not a dominant type of people that become converts. Converts come
from all social and educational backgrounds. The strength of Islam is that they
are all equal as Muslims.

The stereotype goes that most converts are women who fell in love with a
(Moroccan) man, who is of course Muslim, and as such entered Islam. This
however is not a majority. Most women convert merely because of the beauty of
Islam.

IOL: How are the contacts between converts and Muslims-by-birth?

Raes and Mus: Very well. Often young Muslim-by-birth women feel more at home
with converts, because they are more free from culturally biased practices. It
is not always easy for a critical young Moroccan Muslim woman to break taboos
within her community that are not based on religion, but on culture.
Conversations between Muslims-by-birth and converts often are very enriching.

IOL: How are the contacts between converts and their non-Muslim environment? Do
they face similar problems? Do they support each other?

Raes and Mus: Some families support their daughters in their choice, others
turn their back to them. It differs from family to family. Most converts do
find support with other Muslims, especially during Ramadan and Islamic
festivities. On those days, converts often feel isolated from their families.
That is why our organizations organize iftars (meals to break the fast) and
encourage people to break the fasting together.

IOL: Are converts in general more strict in their religious identity than
Muslims-by-birth?

Raes and Mus:   We can not generalize this. However, converts are more free
from traditional or cultural practices that have nothing to do with Islam. They
try to find their information from different sources and are often more
critical.

IOL: Were do they find their information on Islam?

Raes and Mus: One person finds it in books, another by learning from other
Muslims. Internet forums are very popular. Of course the danger exists that not
all sources are trustworthy. Therefore, we should always compare information to
what is said in the Qur'an and the Sunnah.

IOL: How can converts play a role in a better perception of Muslims in media?

Raes and Mus:   Converts should be covered more in the media. As such, people
will realize that Islam is a universal religion. A Muslim is not only "a
foreigner," but can be your Belgian neighbor, with the same Belgian roots.

It is our role to make it clear that people choose Islam without external
pressure. In creating a more realistic perception on Muslims, we point out that
it is important that Muslims - both converts and Muslims-by-birth - have their
voice heard in the media. Why not interview a female doctor wearing a veil?
Once Muslims are being normalized in the media, they will become part of
society. It is terrible when people cross the road once they see a veiled woman
walking in their direction.

---------------------------------
        * This article was first published in European Muslims section.   Eva
Vergaelen lives in both Egypt and Belgium and works as a freelance journalist,
with special interest in gender politics and identity. She wrote a book on
female immigrants in Belgium. Eva studied African culture and obtained a
master's in governance and development. She embraced Islam in 2004.
    Send Response to
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  { Views expressed by writer are their own property }

          Muhammed Shariq Khan
      Catch me on ORKUT
  http://www.orkut.com/Profile.aspx?uid=14456057799084714724

Kirim email ke