I'm from oracle/sql background...the thinking there (in oracle) is -

1. one has a table with columns (c1, c2, c3)
2. define the partition on one of the columns (or combination of more than
one) say c2
3. When data is inserted, it will be stored in right partition based on the
value of c2.
4. when table is queries, if the WHERE predicate has partition column (c2 in
this case), optimizer will go to that partition without user taking any
specific action (e.g. without user specifying the partition)

whereas,

In the scenario below that I mentioned, I've a text file that has one of the
fields as exec_date ....after some more research, I also learned that in
HIVE partition cannot be on existing column of defined table e.g. I've to
have a column name that is not part of table..

What I don't understand is that how do I write the queries so that I can
utilize the partition if the partition column is not part of the table
definition..

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated

*thanks, ronak*
*