On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 8:42 AM, vaibhav negi <sssssssena...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> please help . I am stuck with it. When i run show tables query i could not
> see any tables.
>
> Vaibhav Negi
>

> On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 1:06 PM, vaibhav negi <sssssssena...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi ,
>>
>> I am running hive on  hadoop 0.20.2  with 2 node cluster.
>>
>> I had created hadoop user and loaded data into hive. But now after two
>> days when i am (logging with hadoop user) starting hive and running query
>> for show tables . I am getting below error.
>>
>> java.sql.SQLException: Failed to create database 'metastore_db', see the
>> next exception for details.
>> FAILED: Execution Error, return code 1 from
>> org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask
>>
>> When i switch user to root and run same query , no error occurs but i
>> could see no tables.
>>
>> Hive history file=/tmp/root/hive_job_log_root_201009021236_1725176336.txt
>> hive>
>>     > show tables;
>> OK
>> Time taken: 9.194 seconds
>> hive>
>>

>> What may be the problem? Kindly suggest some remedy.
>>
>> Complete error log  is attached.
>>
>> Thanks and Regards
>>
>> Vaibhav Negi

You are not having a hive problem you are having a file permission
problem. If you are running hive out-of-the-box the metastore is an
embedded database that will have file ownership of the user who
created it. SO if you try to run multiple instances of hive, or run as
another user it will fail.

See wiki for JDBC meta stores or moving Derby into server mode.