On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 7:50 PM, Leo Alekseyev <dnqu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I can create and load data into an HBase table as per the instructions
> from Hive/HBase Integration wiki page using something like
> create table ...
> STORED BY 'org.apache.hadoop.hive.hbase.HBaseStorageHandler'
> WITH SERDEPROPERTIES ("hbase.columns.mapping" = ....);
>
> Is it possible to then load more data from Hive into this table?..  I
> keep seeing references to "bulk inserts" vs "incremental inserts" in
> people's slides, as well as references to HBASE-1923, but no concrete
> examples.

I will start by answering my own question: with HBaseStorageHandler,
INSERT OVERWRITE TABLE foo ... statement appears to append rows (given
that the row keys are unique).  Note that this is different than
"regular" Hive tables, which would get overwritten under similar
circumstances.  Perhaps this should be spelled out in the wiki...

This resolves the original question, but further comments on the issue
are always welcome :)