BISMILLAAHIR-RAHMAANIR-RAHIIM
As-Salaamu 'alaykum wa Rahmatullaahi wa Barakaatuh

Hijri date: Sunday 7 Thw al-Qi`dah 1420 A.H.
Assalam ualaikum wa rahmatulahi wa barakatuhu,

This email was sent to me by a sis in the middle east. I thought I would
sent it out as there are some 'little' sisters  on my list including one
super lil sis aged 11 -  as well as the rest of the sisters - and I wont say
how old the eldest is, she'll never forgive me *LOL*.....Its just a
refreshing look at her thought process.

fi amanAllah, assalam u alaikum, f

___Original___

This is a little speech that I have wrote......on my own.   Please  forward
it to all the muslim sisters you know.  Thank-you.

Assalam alikum warahmatullahi  wabarakatuhu. My name is Khadijah Rawji.
Today I would like to talk to the Muslim sisters in Islam about the hijab
and my experience with the hijab. Most people who see you with   the hijab
think of you as a terriost who has come to do war.

It's hard living in a non-Islamic country and then wearing the hijab. I
should know. I'm a 12-year-old girl who has recently decided to wear   the
hijab.

Hijab for those of who choose to wear it, is a symbol of peace, choice and
freedom. A Muslim woman covering her head or body is making a statement
about her identity: Her sexuality has nothing to do with her interaction
with people.

Hijab comes from the Arabic word hajaba, meaning to hide from view or
toconceal. In Islam a Muslim girl is asked to conceal herself with the hijab
from the age of puberty.

A hijab makes a woman feel safe. Safe from crime, abuse, harassment and
rape.

Every morning I would wake up at 7:30 in the morning deciding what I  would
wear, what I would do with my hair and what make-up to wear. I  then told
myself that what I was doing was not quite right. I decided that something
was missing. I was always told about the hijab and that by wearing it I
looked better then I did with those fancy hairstyles.

 In the beginning of my grade 7-year I started collecting information about
the hijab. Every night before I went to sleep I would tell myself that  you
know something, Khadijah tomorrow you're going to wear it, but the next
morning I would always end up not wearing it. I was scared and afraid. I
mean I'm in Grade 7. I always was afraid that by wearing it I would be
considered a low person. I would be made fun of.

Then one day I finally made up my mind. I was quite mad that I was thinking
negatively. I then told myself that if the Jews could wear  their hat and if
the singhs (SIKHS)could wear there turban then how  come a Muslim women like
me couldn't wear the Hijab. That's when Allah  Ta'alalet my self-esteem
rise. I wore the hijab to school on Monday, December  the 14th 1998. When I
wore it to school I did get some dirty looks and   I was made fun of, people
were saying things like "Look she's wearing a
turban," but I dealt with that pretty quick by talking to one of my
teachers. I was asked questions like why do you wear it and I answered  the
question with pride.

Now when I come to think about it I think that what I did was right.  And
I'm glad that Allah Ta'ala gave me the strength to do what was right.

My advice to all the Muslim sisters out there planning to where it is that
think positively not negatively, and to remember that when you do  a good
thing like this Allah Ta'ala is very happy with you. I hope that  Allah
Ta'ala gives all the sisters out there the same esteem that I  got.

Ameen.
Wassalmu Alaikum warahmatullai  wabaraktuhu.

Click here to check out THE source for Islamic books,video,
software & audio at astrolabe.muslimsonline.com
http://astrolabe.muslimsonline.com/
Sign up for Internet Access and Web Hosting at http://www.muslimsonline.net
LONDON AREA MUSLIM NETWORK [HOME URL: http://salam.muslimsonline.com/london/]