  AFP News

Witness says feared for life after telling Anwar of
conspiracy

KUALA LUMPUR, Feb 14 (AFP) - A former Malaysian ruling
party official told the Anwar Ibrahim sodomy trial
Monday that he feared for his life after tipping off
the then-deputy premier about a political conspiracy
to smear and topple him.
Raja Kamaruddin Raja Wahid said Abdul Aziz Shamsuddin,
then the political secretary to Prime Minister
Mahathir Mohamad, was involved in the plot and had
admitted paying people to invent stories about
homosexual acts committed by Anwar.

Raja Kamaruddin, a defence witness, said he tipped off
Anwar after seeking guidance from God. He also made a
statutory declaration and videotaped statement in case
"anything happened to me."

"If you were afraid for your life, why didn't you
lodge a police report?" prosecutor Azahar Mohamad
asked him.

"I did not believe in the police's integrity," Raja
Kamaruddin replied. Applause broke out in the public
gallery and police ejected one person on the judge's
orders.

Earlier Raja Kamaruddin testified that Aziz, now
deputy education minister, told him at a meeting on
June 26, 1998 about moves to destroy Anwar's
reputation so he could never become prime minister.

Anwar, sacked in September 1998 and then detained
after leading mass anti-government protests, was once
Mahathir's heir apparent.

Defence lawyers have said they plan to call Mahathir,
74, to testify on Thursday but the prosecution is
expected to object.

Raja Kamaruddin, a branch leader in Mahathir's United
Malays National Organisation (UMNO) party in 1998,
said Friday that Aziz vetted and changed the letters
in which the allegations of Anwar's sexual misconduct
were first made.

They were written by Anwar's driver Azizan Abu Bakar
and by Ummi Hafilda Mohamad Ali, the sister of Anwar's
former political secretary.

Anwar and his adopted brother Sukma Darmawan are
charged with sodomising Azizan in early 1993, a crime
punishable by up to 20 years in prison.

On Monday, Raja Kamaruddin said Aziz told him he was
paying Azizan and Ummi Hafilda to make up stories.

"Aziz said there would be no problems from Azizan and
Ummi Hafilda because they were short of money and when
I (Aziz) give them money and ask them to make up
stories and make whatever changes to statements they
have made related to sodomy charges against Anwar,
they did that," he testified.

"Aziz also said the best way to topple Anwar was by
making up charges on sodomy and adultery, and other
matters would not have any such effect.

"His work was to spread whatever stories were made up
by Ummi and Azizan to Anwar supporters so that they
would hate Anwar."

He said Aziz told him he had wanted revenge against
Anwar for a long time.

"Aziz told me, 'Why does Anwar want to become prime
minister? It would be better for Pak Lah (Abdullah
Ahmad Badawi) to become prime minister.'"

Abdullah succeeded Anwar as deputy premier.

Anwar was jailed for six years last April for abusing
his official powers to cover up the allegations of
sexual misconduct. He says he fell foul of a political
conspiracy after threatening to expose official
corruption.

The government denies any plot.

Raja Kamaruddin said he and Aziz also visited the
office of a lawyer named Rais Zainuddin, who told him
to spread stories that Anwar was an agent of the US
Central Intelligence Agency.

After that meeting he decided to tip off Anwar. "On my
way back, I realised that slander was a big sin. I
asked guidance from God ... and I knew I had to go see
Anwar."

A meeting was arranged at 1 a.m. the next day. Anwar
did not press him to take any action but Raja
Kamaruddin said he decided to make a videotaped
confession.

"I was made to understand that Aziz Shamsuddin is the
most powerful man in Malaysia, that he is trusted and
is very close to the PM.

"I made the video so that Anwar could use it if
anything happened to me, if I died or something. I
also made an official report to Anwar about the
conspiracy and also a statutory declaration."

He said he wrote about the conspiracy to Mahathir on
August 15, 1999.

The case continues Tuesday.