Assalamualaikum,

Artikel ini untuk difikirkan.

Wassalam.

: )

Web Informant #193, 27 March 2000: A plea to return to single tasking

Have you noticed a no-so-subtle change in how meetings are
conducted these days? Now that more and more people come to
meetings with their electronic tether, it is harder to
conduct business and keep everyone's attention. We have
become adept at managing concurrent (or nearly so)
communications streams of laptop, palmtop, cell phone, beeper
and so forth. Or maybe not so adept – more on that in moment
while I slip in a few other ideas. Unfortunately, this email
or web page is a single thread for now.

My first brush with multitasking meetings was working with my
staff at Network Computing many years ago. We had just gotten
a few wireless email devices. When several editors brought
them to meetings and started firing off messages to each
other, it was quite a disruption. We had to turn the darn
things off to get any work done. What was unusual back then
is now fairly common. The number of wireless devices has
exploded. Most European cell phones support short message
service and its use is quite popular there. This is just
catching on here in the States, but even more troubling is
that AOL will offer Instant Messaging via certain cell
phones. The potential for everyone to be multitasking all the
time is upon us!

At one regular series of meetings, one participant would use
his time to keep up with his stock portfolio on his laptop.
Nice to be so current with your holdings, but it meant he was
a part-time participant.

Meetings aren't the only place this is happening. What about
college classrooms where more and kids come with their
laptops to take notes? Some classrooms have Internet Ethernet
jacks by each desk, so that every student can plug in, tune
in to something else going on over the Net, and drop out from
the class discussion around him or her. What used to be a
relatively simple problem of passing handwritten notes around
class, out of sight of the teacher, now takes place
electronically via chat sessions, emails, and web postings.
Why come to class, especially if the teacher has already
recorded his lecture on a CD ROM?

And what about multitasking entertainment situations? Back in
the old, pre-Internet days, you just had to worry about
sitting near a loud-mouthed boor who wouldn't keep quiet
during a performance. But now we are treated to the ringing
from some clod's ringing cell phone as well as these constant
talkers. At one Broadway show I attended not too long ago,
one actor actually stepped out of character to admonish an
audience member and tell him to turn the thing off. My
favorite take on this is a commercial for Skytel, taking
place at an opera where the diva sends her spear through the
guy's cell phone, while another audience member silently
types into his two-way pager: "opera just got more
interesting." Of course, this just replaces one kind of
multitasking operation with another one, albeit one that
doesn't prevent other audience members from enjoying the
show.

Last night my wife and I wanted to watch The Sopranos, which
took place (in our time zone) during the Oscars. We watched
the opening of the awards, switched over to The Sopranos,
then returned to the awards an hour later. Not to worry -- we
checked oscars.com and see which awards we missed in the
intervening hour.

Welcome to the multitasking meeting. I am not so sure this a
good thing. Yes, we can do more things almost at once,
without having to miss that important phone call or email or
even the award for best supporting actress. But doesn't this
all come at a price? It is hard enough to get anyone to pay
attention when you are just sitting across from them, face to
face, without all the associated electronic accoutrements of
cell phone, pager, wireless Palm handheld and the like.

So consider this plea for going back to the old ways of being
just single-tasking humans. Turn off those cell phones every
now and then, especially in the evenings at large
entertainment events. Go to your next meeting with nothing
more than a pad of paper and see if you can come away with
the most important issues and action items captured this way.
And maybe if you are so concerned about being multitasking
during your next meeting, you might consider whether the
meeting is really necessary.

To subscribe, send a blank email to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
To be removed from this list, send a blank email to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Entire contents copyright 2000 by David Strom, Inc.
David Strom, [EMAIL PROTECTED], +1 (516) 944-3407
938 Port Washington Blvd., Port Washington NY 11050
Web Informant is (r) registered trademark with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
ISSN #1524-6353 registered with U.S. Library of Congress.

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/webinformant