Wednesday, October 18, 2000
Nik Aziz defies Jais – The Star

KOTA BARU: Kelantan Mentri Besar Datuk Nik Abdul Aziz Nik Mat has
challenged the Selangor Islamic Affairs Department to prove that he has
violated the law when giving religious talks in Selangor.

He said he would continue to give similar talks in Selangor if the
department could not prove he was at fault.

"Show me where I've gone wrong so that I can correct myself. If I've
spread deviationist teachings, show me where I've deviated,'' said Nik
Aziz, who is also head of PAS' council of scholars.

He acknowledged receiving a letter from the department on Monday, barring
him from further conducting religious classes in mosques and mini mosques
in Selangor.

Mansur said the department would consult the state legal adviser on
possible action against Nik Aziz for violating its ruling prohibiting
religious institutions in Selangor from organising religious talks
involving opposition leaders.--Bernama