Seperti mana yang Datuk Shahrir kata, Mahathir is still in a permanent state
of denial.
>>Asked to comment on remarks by supreme council member Datuk Shahrir Samad
that a statement by Dr Mahathir
>>(on Chinese extremists) was the cause of the Barisan's defeat in Lunas, he
replied:
>>"Yes, you can say that. But other people have twisted what I said. Can't I
criticise the Chinese extremists?
Saturday, December 2, 2000
Dr M: BN parties must explain issues
By Mergawati Zulfakar and Sa'odah Elias
KUALA LUMPUR: The failure of the Barisan Nasional to explain issues to
Chinese voters, coupled with dirty tactics by the opposition, could have
cost the coalition the Lunas state seat, said Prime Minister Datuk Seri Dr
Mahathir Mohamad.
"Yes, maybe in Lunas they failed,'' he said at a press conference after a
four-hour Umno supreme council meeting here yesterday.
"Maybe their efforts were not successful,'' he said when asked whether
Barisan component parties had failed to convince the Chinese during the
by-election.
He would ask the MCA and Gerakan to go down to the ground to explain the
issues in depth, the Umno president said.
"Barisan never goes back on its word. The Barisan government has given much
to the Chinese and they must bear this in mind. They should at least be
thankful,'' he added.
<<Pic..>> DIRTY TACTICS...Dr Mahathir showing the poster of a doctored
photograph of Barisan candidate Anthonysamy during the press conference.
Barisan's candidate S. Anthonysamy lost narrowly to Parti Keadilan
Nasional's Saifuddin Nasution Ismail in the by-election on Wednesday.
Dr Mahathir said efforts to explain issues to the people must continue so
that efforts by Chinese extremists to poison the people's mind or confuse
them would not succeed.
"There is no country in the world where the Chinese can live in peace and
make a lot of money.
"Even in the United States and England, Chinese schools and the use of
Chinese language is not allowed,'' he added.
Asked to comment on remarks by supreme council member Datuk Shahrir Samad
that a statement by Dr Mahathir (on Chinese extremists) was the cause of the
Barisan's defeat in Lunas, he replied: "Yes, you can say that. But other
people have twisted what I said. Can't I criticise the Chinese extremists?
"I was not talking about the Chinese as a whole, only the extremists.
"The majority of the Chinese understand (the situation) and are very
co-operative. They are not the problem, but it's the extremists, who make
all kinds of statements to instil hatred among other people,'' he added.
The Prime Minister said he had even criticised the Malay extremists, citing
the Al-Ma'unah sect as an example.
He said the Government had given much leeway in matters of education.
"We even amended the Education Act to revoke the power of the minister to
change the status of Chinese-type schools to national schools.''
"This problem (on education matters) started a long time ago. The extremist
educationists always come up with all sorts of demands to pressure the
Government whenever there is an election.
"I cannot accept pressure unless it comes from my friends. But from
extremists like this, I would not accept,'' he added.
Dr Mahathir also slammed the opposition for employing "very dirty'' tactics
and hooliganism as well as playing on religious issues during the campaign.
"The opposition used religious issues including letters from kadis saying
Muslims cannot vote for non-Muslims.
"They also distributed doctored pictures of Anthonysamy,'' he said, holding
up a poster of the Barisan candidate in a papal robe.
Dr Mahathir said new technology was such that anybody's head could be
attached to another person's body in a photograph.
"In this picture, the head is Anthonysamy's but the body is someone else's.
Look at the hands, they are red while the face is white.
"I hope the people will realise the lies spread by the opposition. Soon, my
head will be pasted on a naked body. Anything can happen nowadays,'' he
added.
He also said there were valid reasons to amend the Election Act, as proposed
by MIC president Datuk Seri S. Samy Vellu, in view of the theory held by the
opposition that the police would not take action if thousands or tens of
thousands of people broke the law.
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2000/12/2/nation/0201mffa&newspag