Assalamualaikum wbt,

Dalam artikel dibawah, Mahathir ada kata "Lawrence of Arabia" sebagai wira
yang hebat tetapi seseorang telah memperolok-olokkan beliau.
>Asked about this, he said it was true that he really didn't care whether
people might remember or forget him.
>Citing an example, he said Lawrence of Arabia was a great hero and then
somebody debunked everything.

Dari kacamata Islam, siapa kah sebenarnya "Lawrence of Arabia" ini yang
Mahathir panggil sebagai hero?

Secara amnya kita semua tahu "Lawrence of Arabia" ini adalah hero bagi pihak
British.

Sedikit yang saya tahu iaitu "Lawrence of Arabia" ini telah berjaya
menghalau kerajaan Uthmaniah keluar daripada Syria di penghujung Perang
Dunia Pertama iaitu pada tahun 1918 dengan mengetuai tentera bersekutu barat
bersama-sama dengan Jeneral Allenby.
Dan atas pengetahuan yang sedikit, saya berfahaman bahawa "Lawrence of
Arabia" adalah penyumbang kepada perpecahan empayar kerajaan Islam dan musuh
Islam, bukan sebagai hero.

Bagi mereka-mereka yang arif tentang sejarah "Lawrence of Arabia"
terutamanya dari kacamata Islam, minta jasabaik untuk di kongsikan untuk
pengetahuan bersama dan juga membetulkan sekiranya ada persepsi yang salah.

Wassalam.

The Star: Friday, February 2, 2001
Asiaweek's choice of photos irks Dr M
PUTRAJAYA: Prime Minister Datuk Seri Dr Mahathir Mohamad seemed somewhat
annoyed at the choice of photos of him in the Jan 26 issue of Asiaweek
magazine which he said deliberately made him look like an idiot.
"I think it was deliberate. They were so very friendly that I was taken in
by them. They came and were smiling and talking nicely to me.
"They even got me to come from my office down here to take photographs.
"They must have taken at least 200 photos but they chose the 'right photo'
for that (article). To find a picture as if to make you look like an idiot,
that is deliberately done,'' he told reporters after officially declaring
Putrajaya a Federal Territory.
The issue featured The Mahathir Dilemma as the cover story and had four
photographs of the Prime Minister.
Asked to elaborate, Dr Mahathir said: "You can look at the pictures
yourself.''
The article had said that during the interview, Dr Mahathir was "slumped in
his chair and appeared tired and worn down by the unprecedented criticism of
his rule.''
To this, he said "well, maybe'' he was tired as he was after all 75 years
old, adding however, jokingly, "I am going to run a race with any
75-year-old and see who wins.''
"Anyone would look tired if you work. I work almost 24 hours a day. I rest
very little.
"I can't do any work in my office because so many people come to see me. And
when I go home, I write my letters, speeches and correspondence.
"You work, so sometimes of course you look tired,'' he said.
In the article, Dr Mahathir was asked how he thought he would be remembered,
to which he replied: "I don't care.''
Asked about this, he said it was true that he really didn't care whether
people might remember or forget him.
Citing an example, he said Lawrence of Arabia was a great hero and then
somebody debunked everything.
"It's going to happen. What does it matter?
"What matters to me is what I have done. If people recognise it, it's okay
and if they don't, it's okay also.
"Whatever they can say about me, I won't be around anyway.''
Gesturing towards the sky, he said: "I'll be hovering up there looking
down.''
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2001/2/2/nation/0202szas&newspage