- - ----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2002 9:21 PM
Subject: Re: [hlcoders] ogc required to play??

> "The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up
> the drain."  -Mr. Scott (Star Trek III)
>
> Sorry for the Star Trek quote, but I thought it appropriate :-)
>
> Instead of Banning WON IDs, why not allow only certain WON IDs to
> be permitted (basically, require a person to register with a server
> before playing).  In the MOTD, have an e-mail address were a person
> could find out how to join and what is expected of the members.  At
> this point, you prevent the player from joining the game (or make
> him a spectator).  When player registers, have a password and his
> WON ID.  When they connect, they must enter their password to join
> the server.  If the member violates the rules, remove his WON from
> the list.  If a person wants to make his server wide open, he could
> set a server variable to allow an open server.
>
> This does not prevent cheating, but give a mechanism to keep
> violators out.  It should be relatively simple to code, and
> hack-proof (unless they hack the server computer itself). You could
> even encrypt the WONID/password file.

Or, a variation on this.  Do what Tribes2 does.  It's a very good way
of doing it.  First time  you run the game online, you register your
cd key along with your player name, so when you come along in future
you enter your username and password and are allowed on the servers.
It works very well, and it only relies on you keeping your password
secure.  Also, the cd key only need be entereed once.  If you
reinstall, all you need is your user/pass.  If someone tries to
register with your cd key, they can't.

Stu