The definitive statement on the subject:

http://collective.valve-erc.com/index.php?go=q1_or_q2

-----Original Message-----
From: tei [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, September 19, 2003 2:57 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [hlcoders] Re: hl1 engine suggestions

Hello Cale,

CMD> You do that then you have HL2 :)

CMD> HL1 was based on a Quake 1 graphics engine, and part of a Quake 2
engine
CMD> for net code. Which means: no shaders, no video's as textures, no neato
CMD> video console...

Humm.. no.
Thats not really true. Most modified Quake2 engines support shaders or
something similar (rscripts). QuakeWorld support uploading skins.

CMD>  and why would anybody need an avatar? It's a game, not
CMD> a chat system.

Avatars?
+showscores

Maybe is a good idea, and modders will use this feature to show the
avatar of the guy has kill you. People like avatars :*]

Chats?
GameSpy alike chats, helpfull to start games?

CMD> I have many more things to say, but I better keep my comments about
this
CMD> post to myself or I'll get myself in trouble.

Hehehe.. thanks!

End of file underconstruction.