Thanks for your patience Alfred, it must be getting late in your part
of the world :-)

I copied the steamclient.dll tier0_s.dll & vstdlib_s.dll files into my
\Steam\SteamApps\USERNAME\Half-Life 2\bin\ and made them read only,
the good news is i no longer get the first error ("The procedure entry
point etc etc") but i still get the "steamclient.dll not found, server
communication disabled." error and a crash.

-Teddy