How about using the Shift+F1 debug shortcut (at least, that's what I
think it is, try a few combiantions if it doesn't work) to disable
rendering of most stuff? The logic code still runs, but the stuff isn't
rendered. This menu allows you to control exactly what groups of
entities are rendered, allows you to enable/disable debug stuff, and
even disable/enable the AI. I use it quite often to pinpoint what groups
of entities are eating the precious CPU/GPU cycles.