Can you not use "connect serverip" in place of "retry"?

Sent from Samsung Mobile

-------- Original message --------
From: Tom Schumann <schumann....@gmail.com>
To: Discussion of Half-Life Programming <hlcoders@list.valvesoftware.com>
Subject: Re: [hlcoders] Delayed reconnect on Steam Pipe (goldsrc)

Would it work to send a different command that when called just calls 'retry'
and whatever else you need to call?

On 10 August 2013 22:16, Saint Thoth (hotmail) <st_th...@hotmail.com> wrote:
For about a decade now, we've had issues when multiple players try to reconnect
to our mod's servers at the same time... And the solution, for about a decade,
was to delay their reconnection, simply by having the server send the client a
disconnect, some waits, and a retry command. Worked just fine...

But now that Steam Pipe is here, the retry command is illegal to send to
clients. I thought of exec'ing a special cfg file on patched clients instead,
but exec is also illegal command. (Which seems silly, given that the server can
send any number of commands to make your game unplayable. Hell, with client.dll
commands, we could delete your Windows system folder, re-write your registry,
or crash your system any number of ways, if we wanted to... But gods forbid we
send a "retry" command.)

So I'm wondering how we could go about adding a command to do a disconnect
followed by a delayed reconnect. Hopefully something as simple as having the
client send commands to his own console - and hopefully not something so hacky
as grabbing the process ID and sending keyboard commands to it.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide,
- Thothie