Additionally, mods of Alien Swarm are showing friends as "playing mod:
swarm" no matter what mod they are playing. In Steam, playing a mod of
Alien Swarm shows up as "in mod: Alien Swarm".

I'm pretty sure the root cause is the same in all cases.

This apparently started happening in March.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta/discussions/0/558749191428566603/

On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 3:25 PM, Peter McKeown <pmckeown2...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Greetings everyone,
>
> I apologise if this issue is already known on hlcoders, I haven't found
> any reference to it yet though - Mods no longer show up in the Steam server
> browser. This includes SDK base 2006, 2007 and 2013 MP mods. The issue
> started after a Steam update and persists (atleast for my mods) today.
> There has been some forum posts about it on the Steam forums but no one has
> found a solution yet. The mod files (i.e. gameinfo.txt) match the latest
> ones in the SDK github repository. Also, servers do show up in the ingame
> server browser, but not outside of it. This seems to be a bug with Steam,
> if there isn't a solution, I'll report it here.
>
> I'm using Windows 8.1 x64, and the last selected game in the game tab of
> the browser was a mod. Once it was opened, the game field is blank and it's
> showing all games now, as if mods are no longer valid in the list.
>
> Regards,
>
> Peter McKeown

Ben Lubar