Hey everyone I filed this issue over a year ago on the github but no one
ever had a chance to look into it yet on Valves end it seems. Right now out
of the box the playermodel selector in the options menu of the multiplayer
branch is bugged. Instead of setting cl_playermodel to the actual models
filepath it instead sets it to just "model". This is also broken in HL2DM
(not that anyone really plays that at this point).

At the moment the solution is just to modify the options menu .res file to
hide it then implement your own but it would be really awesome if someone
at Valve has a moment could you please a look at this annoyance as right
now it seems to be in the backend Source code that modders can't touch.

I know a lot of people on this mailing list thinks this is kind of a silly
issue because you could make one that looks a lot better on your own but
I've been helping people try and learn the basics of setting up a
multiplayer mod and trying to explain how to properly implement a new vgui
menu is a bit advanced for some of them who just want to make a basic
shooter to play with some friends.

~Wazanator