It's up and running. Looks like it's working right. I tried to connect and
got the infamous Error verifying Steam UserID Ticket when I try to join.
However other players are already there. So I connected via dialup to the
INternet, it lets me in. Disconnected, tried again, and it let me in. Looks
like Error verifying Steam UserID Ticket that others have discussed is very
much still alive.

So, this is the trick. After you install HL2MP, you take the files from
half-life source.gcf and half-life deathmatch source.gcf and copy them over
to server directory, OVERWRITING any existing files. Once I did that, the
server not only started, but is working. I have players now. Any kind souls
want to drop by? I'm running at 8 players now, I'm going to just let it sit
for a while, no mods, no nothing, just stock valve server, and see how
stable it is.

hostname:  Ooks Steaming Pile of Crap
        version : 1.0.0.0/7 2733 secure
        udp/ip  :  10.0.0.12:27015