I know everyone's excited about getting any sort of response from Valve, but
the devil's in the details.

What if a server is full of public players, or partially full, and a lobby of
preferred players wants to join?
How are mutliple preferred groups handled?

I suggest something like the following (you may want to sit down for this one):

This system assumes lobby leaders get to see a server browser and pick
(and reserve if not empty/not enough slots/friends only) a preferred
server, or pick any server that they like, or use the automatic server
matching.

sv_preferred_group_reserve

0 - the server doesn't reserve itself for preferred groups

1 - the server reserves itself for preferred groups

sv_preferred groups
List the Steam groups (similar for Live! ?) you want to give preferred access
to (in order of preference) and allow the server to reserve space for.

Simple enough.

sv_preferred_group_private_override
0 - if a lobby set to "friends only" is on the server, members of the
preferred group cannot join until the current group leaves even if the
lobby leader is a friend of one of the current players

1 - if a lobby set to "friends only" is on the server, members of the preferred
group cannot join until the current group leaves unless the lobby leader is a
friend of one of the current players, in which it functions as if it were set
to 2

2 - if a lobby set to "friends only" is on the server, members of the preferred
group can join and fill any open slots (manually individually, or via lobby if
there are enough slots for the whole lobby).

Details, details.

sv_preferred_group_takeover
0 - if a preferred lobby leader tries to join the lobby to a server that has
people playing, the current players are given a notice, but are allowed to
finish and leave at their own pace.  The lobby then gets a reserve (and no new
players may join the current game), overriding other reserves of less preferred
groups, and possibly being overridden by a more preferred group (see
sv_preferred groups).  When the server is empty, the lobby currently holding a
reserve is joined to the server, if it still exists and has not joined a
different server.  Otherwise, the reserve is cleared.

1 - if a preferred lobby leader tries to join the lobby to a server that has
people playing, the current players are given a notice, and given count downs
notifying them of how much time or how many attempts they have left or both
(see sv_preferred_group_takeover_wipes and sv_preferred_group_takeover_time).
When either reaches 0, the current players are kicked and the reserved lobby is
allowed to join.  If the lobby with the reserve disbands or joins another
server, the reserve is cleared.

2 - if a preferred lobby leader tries to join the lobby to a server
that has
people playing, the current players are given a notice, and given count
downs notifying them of how much time or how many attempts they have
left or both (see sv_preferred_group_takeover_wipes and
sv_preferred_group_takeover_time).  When either reaches 0, the current
players are kicked and the reserved lobby is allowed to join.  If the
lobby with the reserve disbands, the reserve is
cleared.  If the lobby with the reserve joins another server, the reserve is
kept, and they are given the option of joining the server (by vote).

3 - if a preferred lobby leader tries to join the lobby to a server that has
people playing, the current players are given a notice, and immediately kicked
out.  The lobby is allowed to join immediately.

sv_preferred_group_takeover_wipes
The number of group wipes (after a takeover is initiated) to wait for until
clearing the server and letting the preferred lobby join (0 to disable)

sv_preferred_group_takeover_time
The number of minutes (after a takeover is initiated) to
wait for until clearing the server and letting the preferred lobby join
(0 to disable)

Getting tricky.

sv_preferred_group_lobby_reserve_method  (assumes that when a lobby leader
leaves a lobby, a new lobby leader is chosen if the lobby is not empty)

0 - if a preferred lobby leader joins a server and gets a reserve for the
lobby, then leaves, the reserve stays.

1- if a preferred lobby leader joins a server and gets a reserve for the lobby,
then leaves, the reserve stays, but can later be overriden by any preferred
group's reserve.  A notice is given to the lobby when the reserve is demoted or
lost.  The lobby leader has the choice of waiting on the current reserve
(demoted or not), or placing joining another server (via matchmaking or the
browser).

2 - if a preferred lobby leader joins a server and gets a reserve for the
lobby, then leaves, the reserve is wiped (a notice is given to the lobby), and
the lobby will use standard matchmaking, or preferred matchmaking (via the
current lobby leader) when

Getting complicated.

You can get really complicated with the last one, but I decided to keep it
simple.
(You can prefer the new lobby leader be someone in one of your preferred groups
if in the lobby, someone not in one of your preferred groups if in the lobby,
or someone randomly chosen.  You can then decide which of your preferred groups
to give them a reserve as - the original or their highest, whichever is
highest, OR their highest, if lower than the original)

Just my input after trying to figure out how the system works and how it's
intended to work.  We've got what basically amounts to a black box, so any
comments from Valve (like below) as to how stuff works and what they're aiming
for is very helpful, and helps us give good feedback and make coherent
suggestions.