If you have the steam client installed on the machine make sure it is up to
date (or uninstall it).

From: hlds-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com
[mailto:hlds-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com] On Behalf Of Robert Whelan
Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2011 5:15 AM
To: Half-Life dedicated Win32 server mailing list
Subject: Re: [hlds] Half-Life 1 engine beta update released

Thats where my tfc servers are still dieing:-

With the current beta files the server dies here:-
L 07/21/2011 - 07:11:53: FATAL ERROR (shutting down): Unable to initialize Steam

With pre-beta it continues on as a windows service, reports:-
Failed to load Steam ServiceServiceStart: started as Windows service