On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 12:18:56AM +0000, Rich Kaethler wrote:
> If any of the players on the server have blocked this player, the
> dedicated server is notified, and that new player may be kicked from
> the server depending on the convar settings.

So if I add people who are currently on the server to my block list,
then reconnect, it will kick them if it's set to "4"? Or on option 2/3,
I go add a player to my blocklist before they are fully connected to
server, thus kicking them once they are fully connected? Sounds like an
easy to abuse feature, unless I am completely misunderstanding it.

In my opinion it's bad for "admin stuff" like kicks to be applied to a
player, other than a server group vote. Getting kicked from some
well-meaning servers automatically because someone decided to block
someone else for no apparent reason is just bad.

Perhaps it'd be a viable and more "safe" option to have the server
automatically ignore/mute chat from a user being recieved by a user if
they're on their blocklist? This way anyone who blocks someone for
something such as harassment would not be able to harass them anymore,
and they wouldn't be kicked from servers simply because someone on there
blocked them. Basically, it'd just be a local mute so the person could
still talk on the server, but only the one who chose to block that user
wouldn't be able to see or hear any of it.

Please correct me if any of these interpretations are wrong. Thanks.