Im using Both Intel and AMD desktop CPUs, I have server CPUS as well, so I
can test on that too, but I dont believe in a change because of a
"server"CPU... The mainboard might have something to say, but i doubt that
too, since to tickrate is more stable than any other in my country.

I know that the fps_max needs to be higher than the value you want, i use
+100 for each "step". about the server(s) it doesnt make any difference how
many or few I have on it... im testing with just 16slots CS or CSS and my
clients as the only player, if i even have an active slot.

The OS is a bootstrapped debian etch with a bit of perl libs and sshd
running... doing nothing.

Regards, Thomas

Thomas, what processors are you using? Are you using desktop
processors or server processors? Also to get 500 FPS in Source use
fps_max 600. Source is odd in how it works that, you don't actually
get what you set fps_max to. Also how big of server are you talking
about? How many players?