Rather farfetched reasons if you ask me. And my point is that there
are far too many other features which could be more beneficial to all
players.

Speaking of your download speed, 'works fine for me' is not really
convincing argument. I have full 100Mbps downloading from P2P networks
and never seen anything close on Steam. Especially considering the
fact that not all content is available on regional content servers, so
I'm limited by the speed of international links. There is life outside
of US and EU, you know...