I would much prefer servers dedicated to idling (be it ingame or
otherwise) than players bitching on a popular 24/7 server because
someone has an item they don't. It keeps them from using up my most
popular servers' resources and keeps my players happy. From a server
operator (as in a real server operator, not a sourcemod-user like most
"admins") it doesn't phase me whether idlers use an external program or
a TF2 machine, as long as they aren't wasting mine and my players time
and resources.

If VALVe were to somehow punish or abolish the use of achievement_idle
and similar, well, I'd be one pissed off mofo that's for sure...