There was short outage on the Steam network yesterday, if you looked the list at that time, then it might be the reason. Never seen the survivors being invisible. If it's alt+tab related, try starting demo record (record blabla) and then stopping it (stop). It fixes tons of issues related to invisible players on Counter-Strike Source, Day of Defeat Source and Team Fortress 2. Since L4D2 is based on the same engine, it's priopably inherited into it too.

Just that, these problems have existed in TF2 over 1,5 years, where they first time surfaced and since then have been spreading to these other games. I'm sure Valve has looked into the matter but perhaps not found the culprit. Something happens on alt+tab and things just don't return to normal after that. Same issue can happen due to network lag and never returns to normal. Funny how demo record fixes it completely.

-ics