You can also rate-limit in iptables since a new module was introduced not
too long ago. I use it for SSH and a few other ports as well. Here's an
example for those that care. The below will rate limit ssh connections to no
more than 4 every 60 seconds. Anything over that, iptables drops for a
period of 10 or 15 minutes I believe. (Will have to check on the duration of
the block).

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -m state --state NEW -m recent --set
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -m state --state NEW -m recent --update
--seconds 60 --hitcount 4 -j DROP
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -m state --state NEW  -j ACCEPT

R's,
max