We found L4D2 (with this new clock optimisation) used less CPU than L4D1 (without it).

However, currently TF2 servers are using greater CPU than it used to REGARDLESS OF THIS SETTING.

Note that the only downside of leaving this at default (ie not set) is that the server will take a few seconds longer to start up. Setting it to an explicit number just means you have to differ your scripts for every box, and remember to change them when if your CPU changes.