The engine was originally compiled for 32 slots, but maxplayers was limited to 24. DF's plugin simply removed the maxplayers cap, letting you use all 32 slots. A while back they bumped it to 33 slots ( to accommodate 32+sourcetv/replay ) and it's been like that ever since. They removed the 24x maxplayers thing since there were ample 32x servers anyway, although you can still use DF's plugin to set -maxplayers 33 to make use of that final slot if you don't have a replay bot (using -replay increases your server to 33 if you're at maxplayers 32 anyway).

Mods to the server to support >33 are useless, as clients can only store info about 33 players maximum, so as soon as a player is put into slot 34 all connected clients will crash. Modding the server to support >33 would be very difficult anyway, as there are a good deal of places where it assumes that there will be no more than 33 players.

Also, TF2 on 32x is pretty spam-heavy already, not to mention the extreme CPU usage serverside.

- Neph