From: hlds_linux-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com
[hlds_linux-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com] On Behalf Of gamead...@127001.org
[gamead...@127001.org]
Sent: 25 July 2011 13:56
To: 'Half-Life dedicated Linux server mailing list'
Subject: Re: [hlds_linux] cpu on i7 920

Regardless of CPU usage you're going to struggle running more servers than
that.

The thing is, it's not that the servers use a lot of CPU*, it's just that
when they need it, they need it _NOW_, or else they miss their "window" and
the framerate drops.  The more things running per core, the higher the
chance that something else will stop a server getting its slice when it
needs it.

*actually, they _DO_, but the point would stand even if they didn't

This is why I find load average useful; it can point out overloading (if LA
> number of threads your server has) even when the CPU load isn't showing
100%

Re: assigning servers to cores - this is going back about 3 years, but I
noticed that gameservers liked to jump cores about every 30 seconds or so...
but if I pinned them to a core, they'd lag for a split-second around every
30 seconds or so instead.  No idea if that was the OS or the server, and
we've not tested again since, but we've had little issue leaving them to
roam free.