That is false by every study known. Here is an example
http://w3techs.com/technologies/overview/operating_system/all

The main motivation for game programmers not to make Linux servers is
because they don't feel like programming on Linux when they are much
more comfortable on Windows since that's where the client is made.

I am not planning to run any RO2 servers, but I will say this. Forcing
your hosts to pay for the Windows license will only mean less money
for the rest of the server.