This doesn't seem important enough to warrant adding a cvar and disabling
killing and such. This is all anecdotal but on my server there doesn't seem
to be a huge issue about killing the boss and getting into the book. There
will always be cases of people greifing and such but if it's that
problematic then they will find another server to get their hat.

If a user is only on your server because you happen to be on that map, and
they -only- want the hat, and decide to leave because they cannot get a
hat... I'm going to be a negative nancy and just say you probably aren't
going to make a regular repeat customer out of them anyways. And if you
uber everyone on the island then what is to stop pyros from airblasting
people off? Or what is to stop people from body blocking and physically
preventing you from moving past? You start going down a slope that isn't
worth traversing during such a short holiday event.