In my opinion the issue is not caused by poorly configured dns server.
But due to poorly configured networks that allows spoofed traffic to
leave their routers...

I'm sure who is used to get ddos already knows who these ISPs allowing
spoofing are...
If those networks were shutdown there would be no need to protect any
kind of UDP service (there are people doing syn reflections in the same
way using srcds tcp ports... do you ratelimit properly those?)