Dear Valve, and other game-server distributors

The unix/posix file permissions distributed through hldsupdatetool and steamcmd are "unhelpful".

In the case of CSGO though SteamCMD, all files and directories are just chmod 700. All of them.

The TF2 beta looks similar, though I'm seeing a few files chmod g+r directories in there. I'm not done downloading yet though.

At least it's not all chmod 777. I seem to remember some previous installation of TF2 under the hldsupdatetool being like that.

I have a fixperms script which cleans this up for each new installation and after each update, but it's painful to wait while it trolls through the huge directory structures.

Thanks for your consideration

--
# Jesse Molina
# Mail = je...@opendreams.net