On 2014-03-20 21:16, Steven Hartland wrote:
A truss trace with incrementat timestamps should help identify the culpret.

I can confirm that if you leave TF2 running sufficiently long, it rests on exactly 20.00 FPS, I don't know if that information helps.

I ran a "truss -dD" on the running TF2 server I just mentioned, and the output of which can be found at:
https://gravitygunonly.com/trussdump.out
I notice from those traces it seems they may have switched from using
gettimeofday to clock_gettime with CLOCK_MONOTONIC and CLOCK_REALTIME
this could be the cause of increased delay on older versions of FreeBSD
when compared to Linux as the later exports said syscalls to userspace
so avoiding the kernel call overhead.

This was added in later versions of FreeBSD.

This can also be HW dependent so worth grabbing bench_clock_realtime and
testing.

It is worth noting that I am receiving exactly the same results across FreeBSD 8, 9 and 10, so I don't think it's an issue specifically with older versions of FreeBSD.

If it also helps, the hardware I'm testing this issue on consists of:
hw.model: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q6700  @ 2.66GHz
hw.model: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2130 CPU @ 3.40GHz

Thank you for your support with this issue, my knowledge of operating systems (or lack thereof) doesn't really allow me to debug this issue on my own.

-Jonathan