Sometimes when one of my servers is changing rounds within a map the entire server freezes for 5-15 seconds. During this time all players see the red "server disconnection" message in the top right corner.

Eventually the server wakes up again and everything is fine. If there are votes happening during this time (we run Ultimate Map Chooser so there often is) votes are received & counted correctly so it appears that it's not a network issue. However the issue occurs whether or not any votes are running.

The issue tends to occur mostly when the server is full (24p).

Monitoring on these hosts is quite granular -- every 10 seconds -- and I observe no problems with disk I/O or CPU during these pauses.

We run servers on two different machines at different hosts but with the same SourceMod plugins, and it only happens on one of the hosts so I don't think it's SM/plugin related.

Does anyone know what may be causing this?

One theory I have is that the server may be waiting on some sort of Steam reply. Is anyone aware of Steam/VAC related traffic that would occur during round changes?

Thanks,
Yun