I used to rent a VDS from John before my needs exceeded what I could get
with VDS (and the desire to own my own hardware), and I'll speak from
experience that NFO's VDS' perform like bare hardware as far as is possible
by virtualization.

I used to run an active 24 slot tf2 server, and before that a quad set of
very popular Killing Floor servers off a single core VDS on Ubuntu 12.04
and excepting an attempt to run a vs Saxton server on it, I never
experienced any sort of performance bottleneck or overloaded it's ability.