i assume you disabled sprays too? if you got 10k sprays in your folder it
also brings it to it knees performance wise. If you can install it, i
normally use "iotop" to see big troublemakers (although you might not see
the other guys since its a vps)

As comparison, updating 15 servers on a normal hdd took ages. Using ssd
only took a couple of minutes. (yes i now use linked installs)

I dont know if it works, but you can also test your hdd speed with hdparm.
But again, i am no expert in the field, just suggestions.