Further info -- I observe that the two problems in the OP are correlated.

During a recent pause I repeatedly looked at the replay directory and observe that the server deleted replays that it had just finished.

Specifically:
  - we were on cp_dustbowl
- there were multiple block files corresponding to the round just finished
  - at the start of the next round, we had a 20 second pause
- during that 20 second pause, *all* of the block files for the round just past were deleted

We only keep 7 days worth of replays so it's a little baffling what it's doing in any case -- stat()ing and unlinking ~10 files shouldn't take 20 seconds.

I had these settings:

replay_data_lifespan                    "7"
replay_dofileserver_cleanup_on_start    "1"

Now commented out. Will have to wait for overnight restart of server (people are playing) to see it fixes things.

Are there any other settings related to cleanup that I should disable?

ics, do you have similar settings for cleanup?