You know, you see some interesting trends if you look at the graphs on that SteamGraph site on a per-year basis.

2011: http://www.steamgraph.net/index.php?action=graph&jstime=1&appid=440&from=1293858000000&to=1325307600000

2012: http://www.steamgraph.net/index.php?action=graph&jstime=1&appid=440&from=1325394000000&to=1356930000000

2013: http://www.steamgraph.net/index.php?action=graph&jstime=1&appid=440&from=1357016400000&to=1388466000000

2014: http://www.steamgraph.net/index.php?action=graph&jstime=1&appid=440&from=1388552400000&to=1404100800000

Lets compare right now to this time in previous years:

2011: late-May/early-June are useless because the game wasn't F2P until halfway through the year and after the initial spike, the numbers kept dropping until they went under 40,000 in November.

2012: June started with about 52,500 concurrent players average. Player counts rose in late June and fell in early July. August numbers got a huge bump because MvM came out on August 15.

2013: Robotic Boogaloo and its Robo-crates boosted the concurrent playerbase in late May/early June to around 66,000 concurrent players average. You can see this by looking at the graph around the middle of May. The average actually *dropped* for the first half of June (Robo-crates stopped being common drops on June 3). Numbers rose in late June and fell in early July, although they may have gotten a slight bump in mid-late July/early August from the Weapon Rebalancing/Community Maps update on July 10 (cp_process and cp_standin were added).

2014: We're starting June with an average of 64,000 concurrent players. Yes, we're only 2,000 current players below last year despite not having an event going on other than the hype train.

You can also see in 2012 and 2013 that the minimum (weekday?) number of players tends to rise throughout June, but the maximum (weekend?) number of players tends to not rise until the end of June, plus both numbers fall in July.

On 6/5/2014 11:14 PM, Robert Paulson wrote:
I am glad that at least someone here is smart enough to read the graphs correctly.

You cannot just zoom all the way out. TF2 has grown overall because it went free to play and Valve has put in a lot of updates to make up for player loss. If you haven't noticed yet, updates have slowed to a crawl. I chose to zoom in since January because there have been no major updates or holidays.

TF2 is also not that similar to CS:GO. TF2 is free. CS:GO came out all the way back in 2012 and barely affected TF2 players counts. If anyone preferred CS:GO instead, they would've switched a long time ago.

> Whining from byteframe about community servers

Rich comments coming from a mic spammer who has been banned from just about every major community. Enjoying how easy it is to mic spam on official ones?