On my host (a linode) I had trouble with replay lag spikes for some time due to slow file system IO. I ended up mounting the replay folder to a ramdisk, and then cleaning it out frequently. Not an ideal solution, but it did solve the lagging. Might at least be worth a test to see if the spikes disappear.