I have a Project model with a number of lifecycle states. Currently in my
app, URLs use the standard form of "#{id}-#{name}". Which is fine in most
cases, however there is a certain state ("active") in which I am trying to
hide the id and name so that they cannot be inferred from the URL. Really I
am trying to hide a Project in "active" so that the links don't give a
pointer to the Project as it exists in other states.

I think I could add a "slug" entry to Project and populate with some unique
random string. Then make a custom "def to_param" to use the slug instead of
the regular URL format (and also index the slug column to speed lookups).
However this would be used in all lifecycle states and would kind of defeat
my purpose which is to make Project URLs in the "active"state unique from
other states (and also hide id and name).

I've looked into lifecycle keys but it looks like those are just appended
to the regular URL (id and name) so don't really address my need.

Is there an elegant, Hobo-style, way to handle this?

Thanks,

Nathan